Friday, March 21, 2014

Phantasy Quest: the Desire to Keep You Going on

Gamification is a brand new definition to me. As in what is gamification, It refers to the concept of applying game-design thinking to non-game applications to make them more fun and engaging. Adding game components to a course can result in several real benefits. Simulations can help students sharpen ability or work out a novel solution. But perhaps the most commonly cited benefit of gamification is that it fosters student engagement. Where it functions well, gamification facilitates the formation of learning communities, giving new opportunities online or during course discussions to socialize or work as teams. In this sense, gamification has the potential to help build connections among members of the academic community, drawing in shy students, supporting collaboration, and engendering interest in course content that students might not have otherwise explored.( 7 Things You Should Know About Gamification)

In this mod, I played the Phantasy Quest which is really engaging. I played the escape games several times before since I like the way it appealing people to keep going on. It activates the people’s curiosity and I enjoyed this game. Actually, I tried seven times and failed. I solved this by the walkthrough at last anyway. I think I can set the keywords (the objects) as the necessary vocabulary in this game. In this way, the students will pay attention to the vocabulary they need to learn. What’s more, students can learn how to describe a story or give the direction to others. Let’s take vocabulary object for example; the subject in this game needs to pick the coconut, rope, and lantern and so on. Then these necessary words will become the words the learners need to acquire. When the learners need these objects to complete the game, naturally they will pay attention to these words. The teachers should give the clues at the beginning since this is really a time-consuming game. The vocabulary need to be told ahead of the game. I will use the images in this game because it will surely impress the students’ memorization. After then finish the game, I would ask them to retell how they get through this game. In this way, I can tell if the students master the objective vocabulary. 

1 comment:

  1. I like you idea of using images to teach the vocabulary. You could also use these same images to assess learning.

    ReplyDelete